The combination of matcha and chocolate is unbelievably good. Sweetened with only dates, moist from the healthy fats: olive oil and flax seeds, soft and well risen. The coconut yoghurt frosting and fresh berries add some light sweetness to it. Plus this recipe is free from any animal products! Vegan baking has been known to be typically difficult, but this recipe will show you that you can have a healthy vegan cake that's also delicious!
Recipe by @elsas_wholesomelife
Vegan, Dairy Free, High Fibre, Healthy Fats, Low in Sugar
1 cup / 180g white unbleached self raising flour
1 cup / 160g whole grain spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp matcha powder
1/2 cup /1,2 dl cacao powder
12 medjool dates (200g)
1 tbsp flax seeds
1/3 cup / 0,8 dl olive oil
½ / 2,8 dl cup almond milk (homemade- recipe from my eBook in the shop section of my site!)
250g coconut yoghurt (look for a no added sugar variety)
1 cup / 2,4 dl cup fresh berries
handful of cherries
extra matcha powder
edible flowers such as dried rose petals (decoration only)
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan forced) or 200 degrees celsius (non fan forced) and line a banana loaf tin with baking paper (alternatively you could bake in a circle cake tin)
- Sieve all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients to a blender and blend (ensuring the dates are well processed/smooth)
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients from the blender into the bowl.
- Fold the wet mixture through the dry until just combined (note: you want the timing between mixing the wet into the dry to be quick and not over process it so the loaf rises nicely)
- Pour/ scoop the mixture into the baking tray and place directly in the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, check on it after around 40 minutes, stick a skewer in a check if it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool for 20-30 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on the cooling rack to cool for another 20-30 minutes.
- To decorate, spread coconut yoghurt over loaf, top with fresh berries, cherries, edible flowers (for decoration) and dust with extra matcha powder.
For more recipes like this one, check out @elsas_wholesomelife